my hair is still brown, I promise.
over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley.
there is a saying: the hills of one's youth are all mountains. how do you interpret it?
Check out this article I found on Arts & Letters Daily about the marquise de Pompadour, Louis XV's official mistress. It's all about seduction, but it's very not-sexual. Very psychological. Very interesting. Gives some insight about unrequited love and why it sticks so enduringly.
So. First day back at school. I'm having some trouble lighting up my enthusiasm just yet. I got a much stronger response to my new hair than I expected. I'm tempted to call it anti-new-hair sentiment. haha. I need some more sleep, and I need someone to tell me that it's ok that we have covered such a small sliver of the curriculum. Also I just need to suck it up and put my heart into it. Fake it 'til you make it and all that crap.
The gap between actual skill level and yearly expectations widens every year, until now, in high school, I feel like a liar for giving them a credit because they have only achieved a certain number of outcomes. Of course, I will give them the credits, because it is not up to me, and because they won't need this stuff anyway, and because they do need the diploma. But I wish passionately (well as much passion as I can muster right now) that Someone, Anyone, would please develop a reasonable curriculum and then magically have it followed.
missing yous.
Thursday, January 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Jeez... Don't you think you're asking for a bit much? I mean really... A reasonable curriculum? Bah!
I can see where the passion may lack when you are without the structure to have the kind of meaningful influence you are interested in having.
Still, "fake it 'til you make it" is a funny saying and you managed to find a way to work it into your post. Two points for you. :)
You get a point, too, for posting about Arts & Letters. Good stuff for those of us who might be stuck far from stimulating thoughts...
and just for the record, I am very unreasonable. :P
About the moutain quote...
I wonder if it means that when we are young all our problems are huge, even if they really are not all that important in the grand scheme of things.
hopefully when we are older we are able to make those moutains into hills putting things into perspective.
I am not totoally sure I agree with that though. I know there are people that will always thing that they have mountains to climb.
to me it says:
climb whatever hills you come across with the same vigor and enthusiasm as you would mountains.
see? interesting... I used to think it meant that the events in your childhood are way out of proportion. but now i wonder if it means that everything that happens when you're young is important because it's so formative...
but then you two come up with two totally different interpretations. i thought language was supposed to be precise!
Post a Comment