Tuesday, January 09, 2007

margherita


I am saying something very funny to yelsel who is laughing very hard. I wish I could remember what I said...

You can see the new colour, if not the new shape, of my hair. A'most everybody says it looks like my natural colour, which makes me wonder if I looked like a dark-blonde poser before. Also I agree... it's bizarre how fake colour can look more real than the real colour... twisted.

I really like this pic because it is the last time I remember feeling the sun on my face. Oh, soleil, how I miss thee. It was cloudy and rainy-pukey the rest of my south-time.

Rebellion runs deep in me. I have started an online book club blog here and we have agreed to begin with One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. You don't need to rush right over right now... there isn't much of anything there yet. However, only a week into the club, I am cheating: I've been reading The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck. I know, I know... it's scandalous. I am reading 100 Years, too, but it's so complicated with all the male characters passing on various permutations of their names to sons, legitimate and not. Also the way dude writes about completely impossible fairy-tale stuff as if it's real. My disbelief just won't suspend!

6 comments:

yelsel said...

i thought you were reading harry potter. hahaa

devious said...

yes, that was true - on Friday. Then on Saturday morning, I finished Harry Potter. However, it wasn't until Monday that I took up with the Joads in the Grapes of Wrath.

Anonymous said...

I like that Grapes of Wrath (grinding poverty, famine) is your illicit treat while you drudge through 100 Years (lush magical unreality). I'll see if I can find my copy of 100 Years; I suspect it's in a box somewhere, since it's probably been 15 years since I read it. (wow)

Sorry I've been AWOL. Spencer was out of town at his job convention (which went ok; we're waiting to hear if he's gotten any fly-outs), and his being away always throws me for a loop. I was catsitting for Cleo, so I ended up spending several long evenings over there watching movies with her. The Harry Potter movies, actually. Damn, the kids are young in the first one. They're not great movies, except possibly the third one, but they are very watchable.

I'm glad you had a good time down here. Would have loved to see you. J said you might be down in March?? And hey, take a picture of your haircut for us, eh?

It's cold today, which it hasn't been at all lately. They've re-opened the Market Square rink.

devious said...

what's a fly-out?

I also have been AWOL, but that's a story of bitterness, so I won't share.

I think I'm a chronic two-timing reader... I can't keep my eyes on just one page. I need a few good storylines in my head to keep myself mentally occupied.

thanks for the news from home. i am, as always, a little homesick. mostly from boredom i think.

Anonymous said...

Fly-outs:
So here's how to get a professor job. First the job listings come out, starting in Sept and running thru Dec. You apply to these (CV, teaching statement, research statement, sample research paper, letter of recommendation from as many famous people as you can muster) as the deadlines come up.

Hopefully you get some interviews, which usually happen at a central convention in late Dec or early Jan. Spencer applied to like 65 schools, got interviews at 8 (a very high percentage, partly because he applied to some schools that are not all that great); the interviews happened last week at the convention in New Orleans.

The next round is fly-outs, aka campus visits. If you impress schools during your convention interview, they will pay for you to fly out and visit their campus, give a sample class and a talk to the faculty, meet everyone, tour the town etc. Usually a school will fly out two or three candidates. Then one of these people will get a job offer. (And if they turn it down, the next person in line will get the offer, and so on.)

So we're waiting to hear if he has advanced to the next round at any of the schools. Last night he heard from one, so he'll be flying out to the middle of the US in a week and a half or so, wearing his Sunday best.

devious said...

hmm... i'm filing all this away in my in-case-i-ever-get-a-PhD file.

congrats to spencer on the fly-out! (i feel so cool to use the jargon!) is it a place you would want to live? is it far from kingston?

now for the stunner question: do atheists have Sunday Best?