hmm.
I had a good day here. There is snow now, as I mentioned in my last post. Snow might not seem like a big deal, but it changes everything. The sun only shines about six hours a day right now, and all of that is indirect light. I have not felt sun on my face in a long time. But the snow changes everything. It amplifies a tiny amount of light, and make everything shine. It covers up trash. It gives the illusion of cleanliness and purity.
Tonight, the world is beautiful. It is a full moon tonight, and it is clear, with snow on the ground. The mountains are glowing white in the moonlight, and the fjord is dark blue. The sky is literally glowing behind the mountains... it is remarkable, because the mountains are glowing white in every direction, but then the sky is glowing blue behind them, making the white seem dark. It is really something to see.
I took the dogs out for a walk today. They are so good when we go for walks without leashes. They listen, they come when they are called... I wish people south, who have only seen their psycho-inhibited side, could see them in their natural environment. Typically, on a walk, they find a bone to chew. They will run ahead of me about 50 feet, stop and chew the bone for the time it takes me to catch up and walk past them about 50 feet. They they pick up their chunk of caribou bone, run past me about 50 feet and repeat the process.
One thing that is interesting about walks on the tundra at this time of year... the snow is still soft powder. And the tundra holds lot of water. So imagine a slowly seeping bog that freezes overnight. Suddenly you have big chunks of moss interspersed with small, frozen waterfalls. Now apply a light dusting of powder snow. The frozen waterfalls and streams are still there, but they are hidden, sneaky bastards. Now walk.
You might land on your ass, too. I only fell once, but it was spectacular. I took a step, and the next thing I knew, I was flat on my back in snow, on top of a frozen waterfall. My friend had a good laugh at me, while I could just lay there and moan. She had already fallen many times, but I was much more spectacular.
and I still have sunday!
Sunday, November 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
if you are fired...does that mean that you are coming home!!!!!
hope that you are fired.... you are missed!
(they should not fire you beasue you are a damn fine teacher and you have purple hair!)
You don't even know drunk till you get home with your friends.
with friends like this... haha..
one wants me fired, another wants be wasted!
all I can say to both counts is... soon enough my dearies. soon enough. let me pay of debts and stash enough for my next round of unemployment first!
I'm not sure I unnerstan'.
Did you go drinking with your vice principal? Eh?
hum... not exactly. I don't expect that he ingests anything, seeing as his tush is permanently sealed. no, I did not drink with the vp.
Post a Comment