Saturday, November 18, 2006

moxy

Lazy day. Nothing much to report. Fiona is in heat. she is behaving acceptably, considering her hormones want her running off to get pregnant. I have installed a sort of chastity gate to keep the birds away from the bees.

I am thinking too much today. Thinking about my life, and the shortness of the days, and the lack of sunshine and hugs. This next month will pass quickly, and I am happy for that. I have thrown myself into my life; work, friends, daily details. That way I don't perseverate on the things that are missing.

Do you ever feel like things from earlier in your life are just sitting there like conversational landmines? The problems in my family, the health problems among my siblings, my own personal baggage - things that haven't had a major role in my life in several years - are suddenly popping into relevance in conversations, and I don't know what to do with them. I haven't thought of the implications of my sister's brain surgeries in a long time, but they are facts that I accepted a long time ago. Those events aren't touchstones for me anymore, I'm not a teenager trying to deal with that anymore.

I just don't know how to acknowledge that that stuff happened, that it affected me, helped form who I am, without bringing it all up again. It's resolved. I don't want to talk about it anymore. It makes me uncomfortable when someone says That Must Have Been Hard on You. It makes my stomach knot like it was knotted way back then. I know they are just being sensitive and stuff. I appreciate that they are good people. I just want to close the door and have it stay closed.

supper and cards with PE and the roommate, and a couple of other newfs. yay fun!

i have a question:
why can't we ride bikes in winter? it is just the slippery factor, or does the cold do something to the bike?

Update:
went to play cards, it was fun
PE teacher, we'll call him Pepe now, walked me home so no one would bother me
we ran into the badminton team, who whistled and yelled that we're a cute couple
me and the 58 yr old Pepe. he's hot, dontchaknow!
they walked us all the way to my door, and then I think they walked him home.
they were happy, which makes me happy
brought the bitches in for a few minutes because I've barely seen them lately
FIONA PEED ON MY KITCHEN FLOOR FOR NO APPARENT REASON!
WTF!?
this is the north

i don't think the kids could tell that I was so very very sleepy
it was enough hot news for them to see me and Pepe walking up the street arm in arm
they really are inexplicably good kids

8 comments:

yelsel said...

have you SEEN anyone ride their bike in the winter? they look ridiculas. PLUS i was think "poor bastard can't afford a car".

devious said...

ya, I know

but are we going to get looking stupid stop us from getting from here to there quicker?

and I am the poor bastard who can't afford a car (up here) and I'm tired of walking everywhere all the time.

maybe if i was biking though, i would get sweaty in my parka and then get hypothermia.

Anonymous said...

I think it is the slippery factor....
I know people who still bike in the winter. I am not quite cooridinated enough.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
devious said...

hahaha!!! AWESOME!! I would have LOVED to see that!!

do you know, I am missing minotaur!? i should ask justine if I can work just one shift at christmas. prolly a bad idea... i wouldn't know shit about the inventory. but i could do cash!

it sucks about the cold being bad for bikes. i wonder if there is special winter rubber i could get... because it isn't so much icy here, or slushy. it's hard-packed snow. i just want some wheels, man!

because i could pump up the tires with cold air to prevent problems with shrinkage.

Anonymous said...

Justine was asking after you just yesterday.

If you really did want to work, I'm guessing the only barrier would be that it would be a pain, accountingwise. They were definitely looking for people for right around Christmas, because I'll be gone (not sure yet what day we're leaving. When do you come down, again?)

Sherry will be working a few shifts, and Emily (from games night, who used to work at Fireworks and then moved in with Sherry) is working there regularly now.

The good Slimline table hockey table has been discontinued, for some reason - so if you want one, you should put dibs on it now. (I don't actually know if we have any more) There are going to be some disappointed shoppers.

devious said...

hmm... interesting.
i should talk to her when I'm down. maybe i don't really want to work.
i come down on the 20th. will you still be around? please?

Anonymous said...

yah - bikes + ice = slippery. bikes + slush = slippery and you spray your cuffs with wet gunk. And if it's really cold it's bad for the tires, I think - the air in them contracts so there's less cushion, and the rubber gets brittle.

Santa Claus Parade here Saturday night. There were SHEEP -- a little group of about 7 sheep, running down the middle of Princess St, being expertly herded by two sheepdogs. Human handler standing well back. It was totally awesome, best thing I've ever seen in a parade.

Anne