Sunday, November 12, 2006

stumped

Well. It is November 12th. Is it ever November 12th. Yuck. It is cold cold cold and windy windy windy. Wingman leaves tomorrow for a week, but his houseguest stays. grr. inconsiderate.

My marks are due by tuesday, meaning by the end of the day tomorrow. I am still marking, still preparing the marks. Marks at this point are meaningless, but doubtless some kids will take the midterm marks as reason for either quitting or doing less work at school. Anyway.

I have the Novembuary blues. You can even hear it in my voice and see it on my face.

I am beginning to think about next year. Already kids are beginning to ask me if I am coming back next year. It is far to early to say no to them. but in seriousness and all that, I am starting to think where I will be. I am looking for jobs. I am considering quebec, because they need a lot of teachers. But, in Quebec, I am punished financially for not having gone to school in Quebec. They cut my education rating by two years since I didn't do CEGEP and they don't count OAC. Also, they only award me the equivalent of one four-year degree for my two honours degrees. That pisses me off. I do like Quebec though. I find Quebecers, in a massive, sweeping generalization, easier to get along with than people from home. (Readers excluded of course, you are all fantastic!)

Ontario is a possibility, but a tricky one. Kingston is always there with its supply list for me, but I remember hating supply teaching, even though I did eventually get the numb hang of it. All the places in Ontario where I might consider living seem to have crappy job markets for teachers. Maybe it is time, though, to come pay my dues finally. It's hard to figure. Is Kingston really the place for me to land?

Other provinces don't interest me much, as it would be so difficult to come home. So. I feel stuck in a corner. Most likely it is because of the Novembuary blues.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you could find a real job in Quebec, especially in one of the bigger cities, I think you should do that.

I think Kingston is a small world, with a too-small job market, for you. Supply teaching = unsatisfying. Go live in Quebec while you can.

(As much as I would love to have you living here so I could come visit, and as much as you have lovely friends who will be staying here.)

devious said...

how did you get so wise?

do you think it's relevant that if I go somewhere else, even with the expectation to one day go home, that I could end up never really coming home?

is that something I should even be thinking of? I'm getting berated up here by a friend for thinking too far ahead. which i find funny :p

Anonymous said...

Don't keep yourself from doing something that makes sense for you to do, and that you obviously want to do, just because there might be some downside. (What if you never leave home? Now is the time in your life to take risks like this; you know that already or you wouldn't be in the north. It will never be easier than it's going to be this summer -- you'll have bit of extra money, I hope, and you'll have total freedom. Plus you've got 6 months now to lay the groundwork, get a job, etc.)

Quebec is just not that far away from your family and friends. I've been living 6-9 hours from my family for more than ten years, and I adore them and feel very connected to them. I see them three or four times a year, and it's close enough to drive there in one day if there's an emergency. Plus if you live in Montreal you can fly or train to Tronno. It's close.

I can't think of any reason not to do it. Plus then I can come visit you and we can eat good food.