Monday, November 13, 2006

oleepeekavunga

taima.

report cards finished. i cannot believe how tired it makes me, sitting and marking and preparing midterm reports. you'd think i climbed a mountain or something. :P

so... yesterday I learned me some local language.

remember: q's are tricky. at the beginning of a word, they are almost like a k, but sort of with some guttural phlegmy sound. in the middle of a word, they are more like r's but harder... it's a complicated sound. the kids never get tired of trying to get me to try to speak. it's fun.

suvi? what are you doing?
suqqauvi? what did you do?
suniaqi? what are you going to do?

also, the five ws:

who? qina?
what? kisu?
where? nami?
when? qanga?
why? suma?
+
how? qanu? as in...

qanuipit? how are you?
qanuingitunga. i am fine.

i can also say without hesitation, inungi! I am not inuk! haha...

UPDATE: so I was having a craving (no, I'm not pregnant, thank you for asking), and my stomach was saying "Smoked Salmon, Please." But I don't have any smoked salmon. So, I opened up the plastic bag containing the small char that I bought from a lady at the door today, fresh from a lake this morning, and I cut a piece off the side and sliced it up pretty and dipped it in soy sauce and sesame seeds, and ate some sushi. YUM! I am so resourceful!

I can't believe that I have learned to like sushi. A lot. To the point of craving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

can we have sushi when you come home? I want to try it again.

yeah for new words!

devious said...

:D I like language.