Sunday, September 17, 2006

salsa

Today I escaped for a little while. I read a favourite book, slept late, and that's about it. Something in me just needed a mental vacation.

Tomorrow will be a busy day, I'm excited! We are going in a boat into the Park nearby. We won't go all the way in, just up to the edge. We're going to stop and pick berries and look around a whilte before coming back. It will be nice to get out of town for a few hours, even if it doesn't involve a beer.

Before that, I will try to get some work done at school. The art room is still a disaster. It's frustrating... I wish I had had more time before school started to get it in shape. Or, rather, I wish the last two teachers hadn't done absolutely nothing to keep the room in order. The science room was wonderfully organized. But the frustrating thing is that I need to teach art in the art room - especially when I have both groups of tens - and I can't teach in there until everything is organized and put away. First of all, I need to know if I have all the necessary bits for, say, airbrushing. Second, tidy shelves don't invite mischief the way disorganized ones do. What makes things hard is that I have so much first-month-of-school work to do, and I am only willing to spend so many hours at school on a given day. And I need real time off on the weekend.

So that leaves me stagnating in the art-room-cleaning department.

But tomorrow should be good. I want to enjoy my time out on the water. I love these mountains, but I need some open space.

3 comments:

devious said...

We played Settlers of Catan tonight - I won! :P haha

Anonymous said...

Excellent! Shows your year down here wasn't totally wasted. :)

Glad to hear you've had a nice lazy day. :)

Is the art room problem mainly a matter of you figuring out where to put things, and finding things that have been separated? Or is a manpower problem? Could you pay a student $5/hr to help you after school for a couple of days?

Could you postpone: sweep a lot of the stuff into a closet, so it's out of the way and you can use the room, and just rely on paper/charcoal/ other simple materials for the first couple of weeks, until you can take a whole long Saturday to do the big organizing push?
-a

devious said...

ya, I didn't even play settlers once at the store all year!! osmosis I guess. or natural genius. ;) we do not believe in luck. no.

the thing with the art room is this: by the end of a school day, I'm done. Finished. need to leave building. And damn if I'm going to spend my weekend working in the art room. No such thing as overtime for a teacher! we are using simple materials right now, and it's more efficient if we keep doing that in the science room instead of undoing everything I have done in the art room.

It is a solvable problem, I just am not willing to do the grunt work to solve it. We only have a few weekends before the cold and darkness seriously impedes weekend adventures. I want to enjoy them.