no pics today again, although it was a gorgeous day. after 9 hours at the school pretty much without stopping, I was too tired to lift the camera, let alone push the shutter button.
it was a good day. there is a lot of intelligence lurking behind the eyes of my students. I like them. I had only one issue of behaviour in the day, but i have a feeling he won't be at the school very long. I mean, if you act up on the first day of school, draw naked ladies when you're supposed to draw your shoe, make an enormous pile of charcoal dust, and then mouth off, I guess you probably aren't much interested in learning from your teachers.
so the art class update: as you probably guessed, we did draw our shoes today. i had them use charcoal sticks instead of pencils because pencils are boring - you use them everyday. it was a great success, aside from my amateur pornographer. (do you call it porn if it's cartoonish?) I'm really impressed with the base art skills of a number of my students. Some of their sketches were really really good.
tomorrow we're going to do gesture drawings I think. it might be too small a thing to do for a whole period, but I want to keep things light. we're going to do a game thing where they have to do gesture drawings in teams of three... one person makes the pose, one sketches it, a third person has to try to mimic the original gesture. I dunno... maybe I'll change it before tomorrow morning. flexibility is everything.
Monday, September 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Awesome! Yeah, it's impressive how good a subject shoes make. They have lots of good wrinkles etc, and they've very personal without being melodramatic in the way teenage art about the self can sometimes be.
Are you having them date and keep all of their work, so they can build a portfolio?
I like the idea of gesture drawings in teams. Definitely swapping out the model is a good idea. You could also have the whole class draw the same model, swap models several times, then see if you can tell by looking at the gesture drawings which person it was. This might be better later, once they get the hang of gesture drawings. Gesture drawings can be really, really cool because they can capture the essence of someone's posture, which is often all you need to identify them. I remember being amazed when we did this in high school.
-A
i think i'll draw my show tonight
shoe, i meant shoe
haha, shoe! that's great les!
my shoes are currently raunchy... it's gross. my feet are totally not ready for fulltime shoe-wearing. stinkypoo.
the gesture drawings were a lot of fun. we ended up not doing the hidden-model thing. maybe later. for today we just did teams of three: "poser," drawer, and timer. I gave them 60 seconds, which I think was too long. Next time I'll give them 10 seconds and keep the pose changing to force them to go quicker. they're still thinking too much.
you sound good! That makes me happy.
I keep thinking about you during random moments of the day..like when the dog next door woke me up with his barking. I thoght to myself, "Beckie's dogs are not like that." and when I walked into the living room and saw your box sitting there...I will send it now....
Post a Comment