Wednesday, September 06, 2006

perspective



Today we saw the mountain tops. I waited too long to take a picture, and clouds started rolling in, but if you look close, you can see that THAR'S SNOW ON THEM THAR HILLS! The sun itself actually peeked out for a few minutes today. It was shocking how bright it is!!

It's strange about the north - it is very hard to judge distance without trees. Those mountains are actually really far away, and much higher than they appear.

Today I had another bit of drama about housing. There is at least one government housing unit unoccupied, but the housing agent won't let us have it because she doesn't want to allocate any more houses to teachers. That made me angry. But I don't really care anymore. I'm getting used to my Wingman, and starting to feel comfortable whether or not he's here. And I think I've almost got the dog situation figured out. Nalu's in heat, by the way. Yee-haw.

I've been looking at my course load, and I only have three preps this term. Two maths and two arts, but I expect art will be the same for both sections. and anyway, art isn't a hardcore planning subject. lots of clean-up. and the art classroom is currently a disaster! piles of paper everywhere! but I think, under the disorganization, there is a really well-equipped room.

I also met some students today. I am excited again. Who knew that I actually liked teaching? I only get really down here when I forget about the kids.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely picture, beckie!

Glad that you are beginning to feel more comfortable in your house.

I am excited that you are going to be teaching art. Do you have to follow a certain curriculum? The freedom if you don't! I would love to hear what you are planning with that.

know that you are thought of every day as I walk by "your store" and drink out of the silver mug you left behind! (don't worry...I won't wreck it!)

devious said...

haha... I wondered what I'd done with it... :P I'll try to remember to bring it back at Christmas. It's really good for keeping your tea warm! enjoy it

Anonymous said...

I love this picture too. It looks just exactly like pics I have of a similar scene in Iceland, which was a day with just miserable weather -- wet, windy, hard whipping raindrops that stung. But it makes for a gorgeous magical coloring in the photos, I think.

Hey, why don't I get a souvenir mug?

Also, I'm with Melissa: what are you going to have the art students do?

Spencer and I went to the brewpub Wednesday night. It was full to the gills of students. The waitress was very nice, but wouldn't stop saying "Cheers" and "No worries". (Yes, yes, ok, I get it, you're laid back and working in a pub. Cut it out already.)
-Anne

Anonymous said...

Also, I'm so glad that you've started meeting your students. I really think once you're in there, doing what you're meant to do, things will be so much brighter. Your tone on the blog is already much, much happier.
-A

devious said...

I don't know yet, about the art. The art room is incredibly well-equipped, but totally disorganized. I'll probably do some basic sketching, some painting for colour-mixing, some lino-block carving. I'd like to bring in print-makers and carvers from town as
guest lecturers, we'll see what comes of that.

I only have art first term, but I might continue it as an extra-curricular in second term.

And I'm so sorry about the mug. I'll bring you something ugly instead ;)