Wednesday, September 13, 2006

captain chaos and his chair

just when you think it's safe...

Another good day at the school. I really like my students, they are smart and have good attitudes, especially with a little bit of encouragement. There is real potential for the year. I did hit a glitch at 2pm today, though. I was assigned a double art period with one section of grade ten. At the end of the first period, the other section showed up at my class. Without telling me, the admin scheduled me to have both sections of ten at once - almost 40 kids! Doing art! Three times a week! I was so angry, especially that they sprang it on me with no warning. I didn't have enough materials or even enough chairs! It was very frustrating. Thankfully it was a short period, but even in that short period, the students managed to make some chaos - exploded markers, garbarge on the floor, graffiti on the desks. I tell you, if the same thing happens tomorrow, kids will be turfed. No way are we undoing the good from the past few days! Anyway, I have the same double class first thing tomorrow, and I plan for the class to be very closely run. I'm less of an amateur than I used to be.

In other news, Wingman and I have worked out our differences, and for the sake of 800 bucks apiece, we've decided to keep living together. We'll keep working on getting the dogs to like each other. But we'll move to the new place - it's a bit bigger with more possibilities for personal space etc. It will be easier when one or the other of us has guests.

Sorry again about the lack of fresh pictures, but here is one more from my hike up the mountain on the weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I reminded by mom that you had gone to teach on Baffin, she exclaimed, wistfully, "Baffin Island! Why, when I was in fourth grade we had to do reports, and I did mine on Baffin Island, and I thought of it as the most exotic place in the world." So you have another admirer down here.

So, sticking with the Wingman - good - I'm glad that he's living up to the required standard. :)

Justine was asking after you at Games Night, was glad to hear things are going well and wanted me to pass on her good wishes.

More from me later today. It's been rainy here, so little motivation to leave the house. Must... Goat...
-A

devious said...

haha... that's so funny. Baffin is soooo exotic! hahaha.

one of my exotic students belched so loud today I thought the windows were going to break.