Friday, September 22, 2006

imitation

it's the weekend!!!!!!!!!

our boat trip was cancelled this morning for bad weather. it was fine here in town, but apparently it was pretty wild out on the sound. we're supposed to try for the trip again next weekend.

Wingman has made plans to go camping this weekend, but now it seems all the licensed outfitters in town have gone camping on their own, so there's no one to take him in by boat. i was looking forward to a weekend on my own. i miss my space. but i've decided to claim the spare room as my own space (except when we have guests), so that will help. i mean - he has the big room (with the big view!) so why shouldn't i take that extra space?

tonight i went to my first 'Loonie Toonie'. It's a sort of raffle... there's a loonie table (tickets are $1 each) and a toonie table (follow the logic). each table has a bunch of prizes, and after you purchase your tickets, you put them in the bag next to the prizes you're interested in. there was also a 50-50 and a raffle for a free plane trip. Sadly, I didn't win anything. Which isn't sad at all. I always feel bad when I win - it's almost embarrassing.



when I got home, an artist from town was sitting talking with Wingman. He'd brought his portfolio, and we looked through it. Some really cool stuff... some pencil and charcoal sketches, some ink drawings, some etched prints. I'll post some pics of the prints and drawings i bought today. i think i've persuaded him to come speak to my art classes. he's a rare bird... graduated from university, has travelled extensively (way way more than me), uses many media in his art, even digital animation, a very interesting guy.



i am so relieved that it is the weekend. i will sleep late tomorrow, and i have a busy weekend ahead of me... planning, finishing the fucking art room already, doing my laundry at school since our washer sounds like it's preparing for lift-off every time it spins (it actually broke two rods holding it together!), taking the doggies for a hike up the river. should be a good weekend. i still do hope that wingman goes. i really want to sit around in my unmentionables and play my music on wingman's kick-ass surround sound stereo thingie. and watch breakfast at tiffany's maybe. and maybe do a girlie face-mask. and maybe paint my nails. or dye my hair purple. too bad i got no sangria.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your town has artists just walking through the streets, to the houses of strangers, bringing them art.

Sounds like it would be great for him to come to your class. You could do a unit on pen-and-ink, brushwork, maybe along with writing haikus.

Here's hoping you get your weekend alone! And I'm really glad to hear you are claiming some extra space. Yeah yeah. Hope you get a good sleep tonight.

We have Spencer's sister Jen (also a math teacher, but for grade 4-6) and her husband here, sleeping in our living room right now (that is, sleeping in another part of the single giant room where I'm reading your blog, at midnight on a Friday night). We're going to Tronno for a baseball game tomorrow -- if you read this before about noon Satuday, and have suggestions about where we should eat dinner or wander around reasonably near the ballpark, I would be glad to hear them!

-A

devious said...

oh yay! Tronno! you know, even if I'd checked this before noon, I couldn't have really helped you with the downtown TO situation. I am still a tourist when I go downtown, so I don't really know the good spots. the Dome is kind of in a no-man's land of concrete, parking lots and walking space... not really restaurants and such in the direct vicinity. but then, I've never been much of a baseball fan. not since the '92 and '93 seasons ;) hockey's where it's at - you gotta catch up!

and yes, the artist situation is exactly as you describe. we do have to pay for the art, and some of it is terrible and then you have to find a diplomatic way to say that you're not interested. and then, some of it is fantastic, but maybe you don't have cash, and then you have to try to make them understand you love the art, and you really do want them to come back; that it's not a brush-off.