Sunday, October 15, 2006

love love love

hey there folks!

I am just pausing in the middle of building a doghouse for my pups because the sewage truck came to suck our sewage tank. it smells so bad!! I had to come inside - i literally could not work outside while the truck was there.

the poor sewage truck drivers... i wonder if the smell follows them home at night, like fisherman who always smell vaguely of fish and the sea. i hope not, the poor things. i know they make decent money, but i wonder if they are sort of lepers in town...


anyway, here is a pic of the crate that i am attempting to turn into a deluxe, one-room palace for the dogs, complete with sunporch. someone swiped the lids off of both my crates last night or yesterday, so now i have to go hunt for scraps and improvise a roof. crates are pretty much the only wood brought into town, besides new lumber brought in for construction purposes. although, even that is on the decline. the new nursing station is being built with steel girders! anyway, the point is that old crates are the material from which just about everything makeshift is built - qamutiqs, sheds, dog houses, etc. so they are a hot commodity.

so funny... as I was working on the dog shack, a whole parade of locals started coming by my house. I can only assume they came to stare at me, since my street is only two blocks long and it's up on the hill. it isn't on the way to anywhere. I think they all came to see the crazy southern girl with her hammer. I had fun building that thing. I'm good with a hammer, by the way. I know screws are better, yada yada, I don't care. Hammer and nails are more satisfying.

I'm just about finished now. I just have to take the fourth wall in to the shop teacher to get him to cut it down for me and put the hole in for the doggie door. I know how to use the skill saw, but I'm not a fan. It is hard for me to concentrate on the cutting because I always have these visions of cutting off my fingers, or accidently twisting it and breaking the blade and having a piece of said blade embed itself in my eye or my chest... you get the picture. I've never had an accident with a power tool in my life (touch wood), but these visions of death and dismemberment continue. It's like the universe is trying to warn me or something...

ps you should check out the mountain goats, particularly Love love love. I love that song and I've had it in my head all day.

pps I have a phone!

No comments: