Sunday, October 29, 2006

a little rain never hurt no one




Pics taken from my secret island. Ha. My secret island in plain sight of all the town! But somehow it feels secret to me. i wanted to show you a picture of my actual island, but the windstorm two weeks ago has left it littered with sheets of steel roofing and the plastic sheeting used to cover bales of insulation. I can't show you my island in that state! You will have to wait until another storm carried away the debris, or until the snow covers it.

I have had a lovely active weekend. It's been so active that it feels almost like it slipped through my fingers. One result I've noticed of the shrinking daylight is that I seem to able to pack my days more fully. I sleep in, and when I wake up, I really feel the pressure to get outside while the daylight lasts. And then when I come back in, I still have almost 8 hours to do stuff. Today I went to the school and did some work, as well as hopping on some of the workout equipment and watching some badminton. The PE teacher had a bet with one of the guys from the badminton team that if the kid beat him, he would smoke a cigarette. But if the kid were to lose (which he did) the kid had to quit smoking. It was a fun little game to watch.

I'm trying a new slant on my wingman issues and those issues with school... I realized that I've had some really vicious moods this week, and that those moods depended on external factors - somebody else had a chip on their shoulder and passed it on to me. I feel good with the work I'm doing, I'm not doing anyone any harm, so why should I feel like shit because they are inconsiderate or bitchy?

So here are the intentions I probably won't be able to live up to; i am going to attempt to create my own moods, based on my actions and accomplishments. The admin might look at me and only see that it took a few extra weeks to finish my long term plans (to the polished level they wanted - I've had my own plans done for ages!), and that generally I refuse to come into school weekends. But I know that I've accomplished a lot already this year. I don't want to care what they are expecting. Does this make sense? I don't know. I do know that they are unreasonable, so I choose not to reason with them anymore.

Our VP put a note on the staffroom board today that we aren't to leave the building Tuesday afternoon until our October attendance is handed in. I have so many issues with how attendance is done in this school, I won't even touch the issue. But the way I see it, I will do what I need to do, and then if it is possible, I will do as he demanded. I mean, really. How seriously do I have to take a man who feels it is necessary to chastise and cajole his colleagues?

I feel sort of like I am washing my hands of this place. i hope, instead, that I am dismissing the things that I can't control, and I hope that that will allow me to stay invested in the students until I leave in June (which I will be doing unless something unforeseen and fabulous happens between now and then).

I miss you all!

They say if you get far enough away, you'll be on your way back home.

No comments: