i should be in bed.
but
does a "greater good" exist?
you hear about it sometimes... things done for the greater good.
sometimes it's bad things done for this reason... like with religion. so much evil done in the name of god.
so much also done for the greater good. but now i really wonder if this greater good exists.
maybe if the immediate good was always done, the greater good would be a moot point.
maybe it's late and I'm doing the mental meander.
Wednesday, October 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
i miss your "meandering" thoughts.
hope that you are feeling better.
i would say that yes, there are times when the greater good exists. not particularly religious wars, not at all actually. more like making wise decisions, avoiding a temporary pleasure so that you'll experience greater on-going pleasure. same with pain, we endure temporary pain to avoid greater pain in the long-run.
hmm... interesting.
i will take that under advisement.
mmmm...me so tired...
Hmm... I always took "doing things fo the greater good" to mean doing things that benefit something bigger than just one's self. You know, like selfless acts of giving that benefit others more than they do me. Or things that benefit humanity as a whole, such as doing one's part to care for the environment.
You said something about a greater good vs. an immediate good. I guess I always thought of it as a greater good vs. a good just for me. If that makes any sense.
In this sense, I think a greater good exists. In the 'greater vs. immediate' sense, I think that if we truly do the immediate good, it will be for the greater good, which I guess, as you said, makes it a moot point.
Anyway, I've never had the pleasure of hearing your meandering thoughts in person, but I do enjoy reading them on your blog.
hmm.. i think i was thinking of it in the sense of the classroom (because that where I spend most of my waking hours). in class, we have to keep the lesson moving, but then some students get left behind. and there are always a couple of students who can go faster than me! and then there's the kids who could do so much if they could just take the attitude off like they do a backpack.
the "greater good" demands that i keep the class going, but the immediate good would mean more teachers in the room to troubleshoot, talk down, and enrich things. so then, if we ignore all those little bits of immediate need... does the common good still exist?
NEway... I talk too much. I'm glad some of you enjoy my brain falling down the stairs. ;)
have a good one folks!
Post a Comment