Monday, February 26, 2007

tabula rasa

weekends, if properly executed, can wipe away the week before. my students have perfected this art.

do you have any idea how corny it is that i like movies like Coach Carter? it's super corny. i think it's because there is some tiny true thing that underlies movies of its type. there can be those magic moments that turn the tide... the thing with the movies is that they never show the real effort that follows after the magic moment. how could they? the real work is boring and tedious to watch. a magic moment only stays magical if you have the consistency to follow through.

so, this morning, in spite of my hacking cough and sore throat, i went to school and tried to be upbeat and aggressively cheerful. i think i mostly pulled it off. i pushed them and pushed them. made them read their own instructions, reminded them of the test this week, gave them homework, reminded and teased them about actually doing it and bringing it back, all with a smile on my face.

we will see. i really hope they can pass the test.

have you noticed i make a lot of typos? i don't really edit my posts... that's probably why.

did you know that there are some things just not worth worrying about?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey girl! tons of things aren't worth worrying about... how i forgot to shave the back of my leg for swimming, eating vegetables at every dinner, if i am wearing my kid's snot.... etc...

i was helping kent do report cards last night and couldn't call you. i wanted to. love you.

Amanda Bonner said...

Things Shannon Doesn't Worry About:

1. Having a perfectly cat-hair free apartment (I'm resigned to the fact that by the time I'm 50, I'll have coughed up my first hairball).

2. Speaking of hair ... Combing my hair -- the beauty of my most recent haircut is that it requires no combing or brushing of any kind. Some conditioner finger combed through and BAMB -- instant hairdo. I don't dry it either.

3. Always finding the perfect word, hence I use "thing" a lot.

4. Always being Little Miss Sunshine -- I'm allowed to not smile at everyone.

5. Having legible handwriting. I've just given up.

yelsel said...

does coach cartier have matthew mcconaughey in it? he might just be the perfect man.

devious said...

mellie, strips of hair on the backs of legs are all the rage right now. you are in vogue ;)

I think I gave up on a dog-free apartment a long time ago...

do you know what i find ironical shannon? we are both teachers of sorts, and at least two or three of the things you don't worry about are things i have to worry about. or... maybe i don't have to "worry" about them, but i pretty much have to do them.

and no les, Coach Carter is a 100% Matthew McConnaughey-free movie. i used to have a similar crush on him, but i think he's too egotistical and "manly" now. i think i would have to poke his eyes out in real life. still... i would risk a real-life encounter. purely scientific, of course, just to see if i really did poke his eyes out.

Amanda Bonner said...

Ah, yes. I think that the culture of your workplace might be a little more tyrannical about enforcing a climate of happy than mine. I always try to put my best foot forward with my students -- I like my students; they're bright, and for the most part eager to learn. Some of my colleagues however, leave much to be desired in the realm of social skill and grace. On those, I waste little of my sunshine. Mind you, many of them only emerge from their offices when the seasons change ...

The handwriting is just hopeless. I once tried to justify it by saying "But one day I'll be a doctor". Those forced to read it often reply, "Yeah, but not *that kind of doctor!" :oj

And "thing" ... well, it's just a handy word!