Thursday, February 01, 2007

moonrise


if not for the moon hanging there in the sky (or resting on the mountain), you could almost be forgiven for thinking I'm living on the moon. incredible, eh? we're in a phase of things where the moon doesn't really set.. it just sort of makes lopsided circles in the sky.

scrabble night with the girls tonight. it was nice. i won.

my girlfriends, I miss your charming gossipy company.

my guyfriends, I miss you, too, but it's not the same thing. don't be offended.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wooooooooow!
That's a great picture. From my window at night I can see: the side of the office building across the street. Gray slush everywhere. Sometimes I can see an edge of moon.

It's funny, I read this article in the New York Times about junk food on Sunday, and determined that I would eat well, and follow the very sensible advice in the article etc. And since then, I have been eating complete crap. Even crappier than usual. Oh psychology.

Anonymous said...

And I'm glad you had a good night with the girls! That's great. Nice change from the last couple of days... Did you get any good words?

Amanda Bonner said...

ha ha! i feel your pain, anne. i had this thing where i decided to limit my pizza consumption (for a whole bunch of reasons) and then for the next week and a bit ate practically nothing but!

beckie: have you ever played speed scrabble? i just heard about if for the first time last night. it sounds like fun.

Anonymous said...

Oooo.... speed scrabble is great! gets the adreniline going.

Interesting that you were playing scrabble... i was thinking about our last game recently. I wonder who won!

devious said...

yeah! totally! i used to play speed scrabble with my students when there were more than four people who wanted to play.

and yes, i got some funny ones. first I made BUM, but it was a pretty good score because i got double letter on the M and triple word on the B. and then i attached BIDET on my next turn, which sucked points-wise, but was funny and therefore worth it.

nothing crazy like EUNOIA though.

devious said...

hmm... i think it was the third player, Hushy-up, who won.
smartass ;)

yelsel said...

i'm not very good at scrabble.

devious said...

aw... muffin.

wanna play?

Anonymous said...

kent's mom usually wins at scrabble. do you think people that talk more win cause they have so many words going throught their heads? i do...you big blabbermouth.

Anonymous said...

i found a house on my lake for sale... and it's called the harp quartet. i heard it say it wants you to move there. it has good moonrises.

yelsel said...

i'm bored.
i think i'll go eat some cheese.

Anonymous said...

Incidentally, my mom got Super Scrabble for Christmas. I had always kind of thought it was a dumb idea for a game (more letters, bigger board, it's going to take forever and be miserable)... but it turns out to be more fun, in a way, because you almost always have enough letters to make a good word. You less often get stuck with all consonants or all vowels. It's less frustrating. It does take longer, but not a whole lot longer, because you don't have to wait around as much for people to think of a word they can make.

Have you played?

devious said...

MELLIE! is it purty?

and that sounds nice, but only satisfies point 2 of the Reasons To Move Somewhere Trifecta. How's the outlook on points 1 and 3?

devious said...

and yes, i'm a blabbermouth, HELLO?

no, I haven't tried Super Scrabble yet, though I do drool a little bit when I see it around. perhaps a game night event in march??

devious said...

OK' two more thoughts and then i promise the blabbermouth will shut up (until i write my post later):

Lesley, I hope you enjoyed your cheese and that it was, in fact, real cheese and not cheez whiz or kraft singles slices or roquefort (blech!).

Finally, I think this may be the most comments on a post ever for me. so far. and i know it's because i keep having these incomplete thoughts that require multiple posts, but oh well. :D i feel special.

Anonymous said...

We can keep it going!!
Yes!

We saw Pan's Labyrinth tonight, which is very good and BRUTAL. (extended closeups of physical violence and gore; over-the-top fascist evil stepdad) Much like Children of Men, also very very good -- better, I think -- and brutal to watch. Both about totalitarianism, and how the only hope we have is to be minimally decent to each other (among other main themes). It kind of scares me to be moving back home to U.S.; some of the stuff the administration has done makes this kind of thing feel not-at-all-implausible.

Anonymous said...

D'oh. That was me.

devious said...

hmm.... i read that Children of Men was disappointing... something about the book being way incredibly better. i don't remember where i read that, though.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read the book, but as I understand it the book is feminist and has a different plot almost entirely. The movie is not feminist and in a way is basically a big chase movie, good guy running from bad guys. But it's amazingly good, skillfully made. (Not good as a reflection of the book; just good on its own) And as I said, brutally violent.