Wednesday, February 14, 2007

pontius

I'm not going to lie to you, things are rough here. i am ready for a break, if not a vacation.

I'd like to climb on my soapbox for a few lines if you don't mind. life is a bit unfair for single people... women definitely, probably men, too. i have come to a conclusion about a question i asked a few months ago. I asked, Can men and women ever really be just friends. I got some good responses, a lot of disagreement, and even some people being shocked that i could even wonder such a thing. Here's my conclusion:

Men and women can be friends, but they usually aren't allowed to be.

as a single woman, i would like to reach out to the attached women out there and reassure you that i will never steal your man. i promise. i personally take offense when someone snubs me because she thinks i'm going to take her guy. and here's two cents for chitty-chatty busybodies: it is possible for a woman of my age to just be single. it doesn't mean i'm a lesbian, or having an affair, or psychologically damaged, or secretly an android. you can't go and conclude that i always want to be single, and you can't conclude that i am desperate for a man. and you can't assume that 'desperate times' will call for 'desperate measures.'

ever wish the world would just fuck off?

on the other hand, two puppies have been directed to new homes. they haven't packed their bags yet, but they have booked tickets. i told the future adopters that the pups can't go until they are 8 weeks. they are really sweet. and i made beef stroganoff for supper. i wish i could get my hands on some caribou... that would be fucking fantastic done this way. it's got more flavour than beef. booo-ring boooo-vine.

snap back to reality, oh there goes gravity

7 comments:

Amanda Bonner said...

Here, here! As I said in response to a question I had this past week about why I'm not joined at the hip with someone, I replied: "I really don't have the energy to raise another boyfriend". Until someone comes along who is willing to *share my life (not take it over, not neglect it in favour of his, not think "she'll get so lost in me she won't have a life") I'm quite happy being single.

And you're right ... that doesn't mean I'm broken or damaged, or that I'm going to remain single forever.

Great post. Great soapbox stand.

*high five*

Amanda Bonner said...

Wow. Was I ever out of it. That cheer in my last post should have been "Hear, hear".

Yeah, me with the "advanced" degree in English literature ... can't distinguish between everday homonyms. And the pay me to teach others.

Anonymous said...

i came to your blog today and i wasn't disapointed. i knew i was going to get a healthy dose of beck's view on some aspect of relationships... and i got it. i think many MANY people hear exactly what you're saying. but i came to post a comment and i still will... "will you be my valentine?" i still love snuggling to fireworks with you... and frankly i think of you every time those freaks on our lake send them off.

devious said...

hahah! thanks mel. :) you always make me smile. i really liked the fireworks, too.

thanks for the support. i think i was really naive for a long time about the jealousy thing.

Anonymous said...

Yes...
I have to agree with ms. bonner. I want someone that will join me on my journey and i on his.

I will join you on your soap box!

justin said...

Good on you Beckless! And good on your commentators for standing for and supporting a wise stance on life.

devious said...

high fives all around. YEAH.