Monday, August 28, 2006

the unwilling

Mystery Man unveiled!

Well, sort of. I received a call from my new roommate this morning. I'm happy to say that he doesn't want to live with me, either. He sounds very reasonable and he's spent lots of time north before. His dog is female, and so won't get mine pregnant. But it will be tricky, since his dog is an indoor dog and dogs are territorial animals. I want my gals to feel at home in their house.

The thing that pleases me most is that he does not want to live with me. He, like me, was promised individual accomodations. He is even teaching the same subjects as me, although at a different level. He thinks it was high-handed and foolish the way they have arranged things. It makes me feel more justified in my anger. And at the very least, two unwilling roommates will hopefully do all they can to make the experience liveable. And he has family and girlfriend who will probably come visit, so I expect he will not be philandering around the village and will be helpful in quashing gossip and potential harassment. I hope.

We will try to meet up later this week (ie Friday) to introduce the dogs. Which shows good foresight on his part. If they can play together and know each others' scent, more likely they will not be aggressive and territorial when we get there.

He has some inside information about the town, too. He says it has its own challenges, particularly that it might not be as open and welcoming as some places. Hopefully previous northern experience will help out with some of the issues.

I hope this year works out... It's strange. I've been trepidacious since a while, but before my concerns and fears were sort of vague and cloudy. Now I have specific issues to think and worry about. My brain is already thinking ahead to lesson plans, even though I really have no time to plan right now. And I'm already trying to gauge my first meetings with some people. OK, that one is silly. But first impressions are somewhat important.

No comments: