Wednesday, August 16, 2006

grams, kilo.

So far in my food-packing preparation I have spent approximately $1735.17. That includes dogfood, my food, dog treats, my treats (haha), van rental, and I think that's it. It sounds like SO MUCH, but pause for a second. take out 600 bucks for dog-related stuff. take out 150 for the van rental. that leaves about a thousand. now, divide that by the year that I'll be gone (ok, ten months). now, account for the fact that you have to buy things in units. For example, I will never ever eat an entire bottle of ketchup in a year. not gonna happen. but then, you can't buy 2/3 of a bottle of ketcup. and if you try, like by buying one of those smaller glass bottles, you end up paying the same. this way I'll give away the remains if there's some left when I leave.

where was i. oh yes, so take that thousand bucks and divide it by 43 weeks, which is about how long I'm there for this year. That comes out to... a whopping $23/ week. So there. :P Now there will be foods that I cannot send up.. perishable stuff will have to be bought at the crazy northern prices, or shipped in as food mail (which comes out about the same). So my grocery bills will still be high. But consider how much higher they would be if I didn't do this ridiculous things I'm doing! Hmm... just for my own curiosity, I'm going to factor in all the costs and see what my food costs per week actually are... hold the line a sec.

...........................

ok, so 1735 - 600 for dogfood. plus 235 per tonne for the sealift (guess two tonnes - it's safer). plus 80 bucks for van-gas. ok, so about 40 bucks per week. still not bad...

this is interesting to me. probably you're drooling with boredom, or gone on to another page. But if I had prepared better, accumulated my goods over a few weeks instead of one night, got my stuff on the first boat instead of the third, I could have done an even better job of economising. And let's remember... I want to save money this year so that someday I can buy a house.

I am always astonished how much I make, spend and eat over the course of a year.

I am very very tired and I have to wake up very very early to finish preparing my boxes. Among other things, I need to label every box with my name and destination.

I'm sorry this post is so boring. But some wise guy said 'life is in the details'. I don't think he meant this kind of detail though. TEA-DEE-YUS.

goodnight folks,

2 comments:

yelsel said...

you're groceries cost more than my flight to kenya. hahahaha. that's hilarious!

devious said...

so do yours, silly girl. you just spread it out and think of it as a weekly expense.

funny though... my food and my flight cost THE SAME AMOUNT. haha... oh god, I'm such an idiot.