First thing, I heard this morning when I woke up that because of a terror plot in the UK, you can't take liquids in your carry-ons anymore. In the UK you also can't take your laptop or cameras etc anymore. It's frustrating... I'm hoping the issues will be better resolved before I leave, because I'm counting on a heavy-duty carry-on. ;)
I've been struggling the last few days with pretty strong regrets at leaving the city. Cold feet, maybe. In any case, I decided to look up photographs of my little iceberg online today, and I am reminded why I am going. I'm so excited. I'm heading into one of the best places in the world for wilderness camping and hiking. I'm frustrated at the possibility of living with a man, and the repercussions that could have on my life in town, but I'm still excited.
check out this website that covers the hiking trip of a group of friends from Ottawa.
Sometimes I don't remember a whole experience. Bits and pieces come to the front, and I lose the big picture. That's what has been happening to me: I was focusing on the problems that living with a man could pose, and I was losing so many great things. When I'm living north, the first thing I do (once I've put on enough clothes not to freeze) is open my front door and look at the day. There are special moments of beauty that hit you during the day - nothing posed like a nice flower garden. Everything is wild and outrageously over-the-top, or a wild, tiny detail.
Like the sky - it is huge up there, where there are no trees or large buildings to get in the way. Sunsets are mind-blowing. The Northern Lights can be intense. Nights with a full moon are surreal - it's like someone just turned off the colour, but it's so bright! And the stars without moon... astonishing.
And then, one of my absolute favourite photographs that I took in my first village was of a flower up against a rock. It's like some kind of a bluebell. But only one of the flowers was pointed my direction, the others were being shy. I just love that pic. Here, check it out. It's on my Flickr, too.

The grass was greener
The light was brighter
2 comments:
yes, it is very sad that you are leaving once again, but i think that you have made Kingston your home...i hope! and when you come back you will have friends to come home to.
i know that this may be a corny piece of advise, but.... keep looking at the beauty around you when you are away and it will remind you of the good things in your life. I really like your image of opening up your door each morning to look at the day.....good advise for all!
thanks melissa. :) I'm glad I have friends here to come back to. I hope that when my time north is done, I can find a real job here in kingston so I can come back.
Post a Comment