I've hit the panic point.
I'm leaving in two weeks and 3 days. I'm still trying to get my goods shipped. feeling very shit-hitting-fan.
The word from the mighty nunavummiut is that I have to accept the current living situation, and then once everyone has met everyone, iron out details. This move is feeling a lot more ooky than it did two weeks ago. It's fair to say I'm freaking out a bit. Anyone feel like taking a little road trip to the greater Montreal area this week?
I'm trying to keep a sense of humour here, but I am totally overwhelmed. This isn't a case of "for better or worse everything will be wrapepd up in two weeks"... this feels more like "must cram six months of preparation into two weeks when all I want to do is lay in a hammock and drink".
this is cold feet in the extreme. this is frostbitten feet. this is me thinking, "maybe I'm an idiot. maybe this is the stupidest thing I've done in a long time."
this is me, shaking in my shoes. here's the shocker that will not shock anyone: I'm scared. I would give up so much to have a partner in this. I only need one stable thing; I need one thing that I can count on. Just one. This is one of those times that I fiercely wish that there was a god and that I could believe it. (this is not an invitation to 'save' me though, thanks.) It's just... some conviction that I would be taken care of would give me so much peace of mind. Some assurance that everything will work out ok in the end...
I know I'm a tough cookie. I can handle a lot. I'm pretty independent, I'm open and make friends pretty easily. I like adventure and stuff. And yet I know I don't have to do the hard thing just because it's hard. I'll have a great time up there. It will be hard. It is bittersweet, and right now I'm tasting mostly the bitter.
I feel strange posting such naked fear on the blog. But really, who cares? If this blog is going to track my northern experience, it might as well be honest, right?
Monday, August 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm sorry you're scared. It sucks. We will miss you a lot too.
Here's some sunshine, in case your ass needs some...
It will all work out. It will be good. It is a good and brave decision to go. It will tie up loose ends for you, you will save some money, you will have a good year and you will have done something with your year rather than fiddle around in Kingston with another year of supply misery.
We will miss you down here, but we will be in close touch with the blogging and the email. You will post pictures. You will tell us funny stories about your students. You will have clever ideas about what to teach them. You will be so, so glad to have a class of your own again.
You will avoid the slushy Kingston winter. You will have odd, interesting colleagues, and will make good friends with some of them. (And tell us goofy stories.) The living situation will work out. It will. The dogs will be so happy, and the problems with them down here will not be problems up there. The air will be great.
You are going to live on Baffin Island! I am bragging about you to my friends.
This week is a good week to devote to getting the shipping etc squared away. Very doable in a week. Then you will have one weekend of party and travel, then a whole nother week to take care of business/see people/etc. Then more party! Yes yes. It will be a very busy but good couple of weeks.
-Anne
Anne is great.
Thanks for the encouragement and the understanding of all the little places my fear comes from.
I am sure that I will have many odd stories to share.
Post a Comment