what if we were to teach math the way we teach art? sometimes in art class, when I've already explained how to do something, and some dopey kid who wasn't paying attention comes to ask for a personal, repeat lesson, I say no. I say ask someone else, go figure it out yourself; I'm busy. I guess it wouldn't work in math. But sometimes I just despair.This stupid math block: I can't do it. it just kills me. OF COURSE YOU CAN DO IT. Sometimes they just sit there, staring at it, waiting for the pencil to pick itself up and solve the problems.
Why do they need math, anyway, beyond arithmetic?
this afternoon I gave up on the endless practice of rearranging equations I've had them doing. I just can't believe how hard it is for them! I don't think that's unkind... Maybe I'm a freakish nerd, but when I was a student, and my teacher explained how to solve for a variable, it just made sense. I have had my struggles in math (granted, not until university) but variables and stuff just clicked. of course a letter can represent and unknown number! of course an equation can be rearranged to (possibly) discover the value of that unknown. these kids... my GOD, they really don't get it.
It would help if they tried.
When I was a young, skeptical student, I read a book about Failure Syndrome. The idea is that a person who experiences a great amount of failure will eventually begin to identify with the failure, to find it comfortable because it is familiar, and will realign their self-image to the repeated failures. So then, they become afraid to succeed but that is the uncharted territory. To succeed changes everything and, like most of us, they are more comfortable with the devil they know. Most of these kids don't have this failure syndrome, they're just lazy. But there are a couple who would rather not risk trying.
I think I have my own variant of failure syndrome.
So far, (I'm in the second chapter) Steinbeck has mentioned prostitutes twice, gonorrhea three times and syphilis once. So far.
Tuesday, December 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Though I haven't read Steinbeck, I vote for at least two more Syphilis but no more Gonorrhea.
Gooooo Syphilis!
Justin! I'm shocked! I thought you were a dyed-in-the-wool Herpes fan!!! hahaha
BTW, "giving up" means that I replaced pencil-and paper assignment of practice questions with a competition between two groups. It's good. They are motivated again.
Nicely done! Sneaky sneaky teach.
why, thank you Anne!
and I was thinking.. of course I shall see you in March, when I'm down for PI week. :)
Post a Comment