I just read Stanley Park by Timothy Taylor. It was one of the Canada Reads selections for this year (it didn't win). It was excellent. I love to cook and I love to eat and I love France and forests and I love people who don't know what the fuck to do with themselves and their talents. This book was perfect for me. It even fit my passion for my knives. I hate cutting with a dull, nicked blade. You use my knives, you treat them right: cutting board, wash and dry and put them back in the block right away. No cutting with them on a plate, no sloshing them around in a cutlery drain cup. As the protagonist is a chef, he loves his knife more than anything in the kitchen.
One sentence uttered by the protagonist's father, the Professor, said this: "Too often, the desire for freedom masks the desire for destruction." One of those profound truths that hits hard in the spirit. You just know it's true.
well, i was going to show you some photos of the beautiful lemon meringue pie that i baked this afternoon, but the internet is not cooperating. just trust me that it is a thing of beauty.
Monday, April 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
you changed your name!
i like the new cut line. nice ;)
thanks les, it was a long time coming :)
i too like the name. i've been out at night beck. i'll try calling tonight. is it md news? - mel
Post a Comment