Saturday, April 14, 2007

just call me an ice queen

Another pic of the glacier, from halfway across the lake. See the immensity? It was so awesome to be right up next to it, and I'm using the word in the dictionary sense... it filled me with awe.

I wish I could really give you the experience of standing under such a sparkling, blue dome! Do you see that thing that looks like a hole in the glacier, just to the right of the right-most small person, about ten times their height up the wall? That is a drip hole, probably 50 cm in diameter, that goes all the way through the glacier. perfectly cylindrical. incredible. and the light that was glowing off the ice was unbelievable. It was stupid to go so close, but it was worth it.


And there's me, sitting on a chunk of glacier ice, way too close to a slowly-flowing river of an ice cap that was groaning and cracking in the sunlight. It was only when it really started to groan that I became a bit unsure of the safety of my situation. because, after all, those mammoth boulders of blue ice came crashing onto the surface of the frozen lake in the last six months. We scooted back speedy quick after some pictures.

One of my coworkers said of the picture later that I looked like I'd been flown straight in from Paris to protest the seal hunt, which almost made me pee myself with laughter. Could you find anyone, besides maybe a seal hunter, less offended by the seal hunt!?

No comments: