Friday, April 13, 2007

crater

TODAY I WENT TO THE ARCTIC CIRCLE.

This is me and Oleepeeka (my namesake) at the inukshuk marking the circle. We flipped our skidoo on the way to the marker, so we have this picture to commemorate the event.

It was a great day, though cold and windy. We rode in qamutiks (big sleds) pulled behind skidoos for an hour and a half to reach the national park, and from there we did some hiking. The intention had been to ride all the way to the marker, but it wasn't safe to take the qamutiks over the ice (not a lot of snow this year). Obviously, as shown by our flip, they were right to leave the qamutiks behind.

I took off with a group of teachers and students to hike to a glacial lake not far away. We had to climb a ridiculously steep hill, go down the other side, and walk twenty minutes across smooth glassy ice to reach the glacier.
See those little tiny black things at the bottom of the screen? those are people.

I'm going to post lots more pictures in the days to come. Enjoy!

3 comments:

yelsel said...

wow! very beautiful (and that coming from me who hates the cold is really saying something!!)

neato. you are officially the first person i know to have gone to the artic circle :)

devious said...

aw, it's not that cold. at least, not when you're moving around. my toes almost froze during the never-ending qamutik ride, though.

(ps, this isn't the first time i've been this far north... just the first time I was at a sign marking the latitude)

Anonymous said...

wow... I am sure that was all so awe inspiring. I remember seeing a iceburg up close, and was amazed by all the blues and greens.
what an experience!