The view across town last night around 10pm.
Yesterday was a day and a half - we had a school Histor!ca fair in the morning (chaos!!) and then a picnic at the kuulik in the afternoon. At the fair, I learned to light and tend a qudlik (khoolik), the lamp/stove traditionally used in iglus by Inuit.
The kuulik is the mouth of the river right across the fjord. Most people got on skidoos or jumped into qamutiks, but I skiied across, brave stupid girl that I am. I have some prize-winning blisters on my heels now, and a decent sunburn on my face, despite SPF 30. I had to flag down a passing skidoo about a quarter of the way across, to put my parka in their sled. i was way too hot!
Here is the new big excitement now: Spring Camp starts on Monday. Spring Camp is about 20 km from town, and townfolk have been camping there, using it as a base for fishing and hunting as long as anyone can remember. The school now gets use of the camp for 3 weeks each spring, and all the staff and students go there for a few days at a time. I am so excited, it's silly.
Now that I am spending more time with the other young teachers, I am getting in on the gossip. There are lots of undercurrents happening in the school now... high drama. I'm glad to be the ears of gossip, finally, instead of the accidental source.
I am looking forward to being down for summer. I've been watching toronto news lately, and I can't believe people are wearing shorts and stuff! I'm so envious! Well, I mean, it's been pretty warm here, too... for here. But I would love to feel balmy breezes and go swimming and go barefoot. enjoy it on my behalf!
2 comments:
Ohhhh... I want to know the gossip!
oh it's nothing big... so-and-so's mad at so-and-so, blah blah blah. at least i'm not a lesbian stripper anymore.
Post a Comment