Tuesday, June 27, 2006

mixed bag

two more reactions from friends who did not know I was returning North. one was like, "hey, if that's what you wanna do, go fer it!" The other: "I hope you do not want to go up North again, if yes: do not do it, stay south even if your dogs complain about the warm weather..."

I guess he'll be disappointed in me. *sigh* One cannot please all of the people all of the time. One doesn't even want to try sometimes.

On the other hand, I spent a lovely afternoon watching the rain fall from inside the warm Sleepless Goat. I love that goat place. Anne and I discussed our responses to the X-Men phenomenon, among other topics. We agreed on one thing, too, that anyone who has never pondered what their own mutation would be cannot be fully engaged with the world. It's such a cool thing to think about. We also asked ourselves what non-analytical types (the ones who aren't thinker thinker thinkers) do with the time when they are driving or drinking coffee or doing other mundane chores. I simply cannot stop my brain by totally natural methods.

So I issue a challenge in two parts:

A) if you are not a think-think-thinker, what do you do with your time?
B) what would be your mutation, if you could adopt or design one. remember that every good mutation does have it's downside and limitation - let's try to be realistic, folks.

you can post or not post... I am curious though, so post! :) haha... nevermind. it's up to you.

I'm thinking I would have a mutation that would allow me to be a sort of walking illusion. people within the reach of my power would be overcome by illusions and existential crises. and no one would really be sure what I looked like. It's obviously not fully thought out.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'd say I'm a "thinker" as opposed to a "think-think-thinker". I spend a fair amount of time thinking, but I do have the ability to shut it off (using natural methods!). When I'm driving (and not thinking) I sing along with music that I love. When I'm the passenger (and not having a conversation with the driver) I knit or read. When I'm doing mundane things that don't allow me to use my hands in another activity, well, then I usually think. My suspicioun is that if I had the inability to think about something other than a mundane activity I happen to be engaged in, I'd go nuts. I did data entry for 2 years. I spent nearly 40 hours a week typing 10 digit numbers into a computer. If I would have been focused on my work (and not thinking about other things) I'd be in some institution right now.

devious said...

I guess I do those things too... except I listen to talk radio. and usually busy hands still let my mind wander.

sometimes though I go through a huge chunk of time, doing stuff all the while, and it's like I've been asleep or something because I've been thinking the whole time. like, I'm not losing time or anything, but I'm only half there. I have first to realize that my mind is whirling before I can slow it down.