Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Invincible Underwear

Today I smirk at the world. Ain't nobody gonna rain on my parade. Strange how inexplicable moods can be. This time, I won't complain though, because I feel like all the world is a part of me.

A smart-ass student in my class today asked if I had been really into sports in high school. Which made me laugh because I was SUCH a music geek. Jocks intimidated the life out of me. I was less coordinated than your average gawky teenage girl. I always looked up to the athletic (still do) for the way they could walk into a room and be totally aware and assured of their physical self. Now my admiration of the athletes among us is more about their self-discipline, and awe of the way their bodies don't seem to have started decaying the way mine already has.

The point: this loud, obnoxious girl who was so defiant and rude now seemed to see in me the confidence of people who are good at sports. Which as I said, made me laugh to myself. But then I started thinking about myself (shocker) and the actually interesting things I have done. I have gone to the arctic. I have done language immersion. I have travelled in Europe by myself. I am blasé about airports and used to travel and security checks. I kid giving me the finger doesn't actually phase me. Nor does a kid telling me they hate supply teachers.

There are things that bother me, like big oil companies and rude people and the insidious sexism that most people don't even notice (and therefore these people think I'm a raging feminist because I do notice it). I guess I'm just saying that sometimes people make a dent in my self-concept, and sometimes they don't. And it has nothing to do with them, or the dent they are trying to make. It has everything to do with whether or not I'm wearing my Invincible Underwear.

No comments: