
Beginnings are tricky. They aren't permanent or fatal usually, but they do set the tone.
Welcome to my new blog, ostensibly centred around my impending move to the Iceberg, the Great White North. I'm excited and totally overwhelmed, even though I've been north before. There is so much to do, and thankfully there should be enough time.
I know some of you may find my sudden decision ill-advised. My last experience in the north left me sort of broken and lost. I'm still picking up some of the pieces. I may be endangering my mental healthby going again, but I really don't think so. I am ripping up all the little baby-roots I've cultivated this year in this city. I am stepping out of my meandering progress for a full academic year. But I find I am so excited that I would regret not going. I am fully convinced that the parts of my last northern experience that gave me such trauma will not be part of this excursion. So here follow my Top Ten Reasons for going to the Iceberg.
10. I will get to experience a different kind of north that will hopefully heal some of my hurts.
9. I will teach subjects and classes that interest me.
8. I will secure my finances for a year, and hopefully save.
7. I will have new adventures - there is a massive national park near said Iceberg.
6. I will be living in a place of great beauty - it's on a fiord - check it out.
5. The Iceberg is a friendly, dry community full of culture and art.
4. I can take a one-year leave and not lose my hellish southern job.
3. I will be able to enjoy the outdoors with my dogs.
2. I will meet new people - school staff, community members, Inuit artists, even tourists. It's a large community - 10x the last place!
AND:
1. I will terribly regret missing the experience if I don't go.
Or, if this will convince you of my sanity, a quick pro-con:
PROs
no more supply teaching
yay money!
yay adventures on tundra - good photo opportunities, seeing new wildlife, camping!
yay clean air and water!
yay char and caribou!
yay like-minded adventurish people!
yay arctic winter!
yay beautiful landscape!
yay visiting home for Christmas!
yay I know how to transition back now!
CONs
boo missing friends and family.
boo possibly missing fulltime french position (all I can hope for in south).
boo possible boredom during blizzards and long weekends with poor weather.
boo another tricky re-integration with the south next summer.
boo dogs with too much hair come next June.
besides all else, it's only a year! I will be back!
disclaimed: town is not called the Iceberg. Nor is it actually an iceberg. just a little pseudonym. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment