Friday, May 04, 2007

floe edge


Samo tried to throw me into the Arctic Ocean. Photographic evidence, right before your eyes.

Spring Camp was AWESOME. I had such a good time. It was cold and I have a sunburn, but I had a wonderful time. We went fishing at the lake an hour's qamutiq ride away. It was insanely bumpy. Don't assume that sleds on snow slide smoothly. bump bUmp BuMP
BUMP!!! I had bruises all the way up one arm, and my back was totally fucked up.

The next day, we went to the floe edge. That is, the edge of the sea ice where there was open water. We were supposed to be seal hunting, but nobody brought a gun, so we just hung around and made tea and took pics and tried to throw me in the drink.

Other than that, we hung around camp. I made myself helpful. I made bannock and bannock dogs. Bannock dogs are like the complete anti-health food. A hot dog, wrapped in bannock and deep-fried. Insanely unhealthy and yet so yummy.
The food was good - lots of stews: char stew, caribou stew, seal stew. and then the traditional camp foods: mac and cheese, grilled cheese, soup, stuff like that. and THEN, we had the most awesome breakfasts in the world EVERY DAY. You know how I love the greasy spoon breakfast. Check out the spread below. It's a veritable trough of greasy breakfast food.


Fiona came with me, Nalu stayed home with her pupppies. Fiona was the star of camp, no question.

2 comments:

yelsel said...

awesome :D

i know that you're already far away, but i really missed you while you were gone. i'm glad you're back, and that you had such a great time :)

Anonymous said...

Ditto... I missed reading about your adventures while you were away. Good to hear that you had a good time and ate good food. I love the look on your face in the first pic.