Tuesday, June 24, 2008

lo, the end is nigh

A beautiful lie is no good to me. Always tell me the truth, especially when I might not want to hear it.




School is rapidly coming to an end. We have only a scavenger hunt and picnic tomorrow, and then awards on Thursday and that’s IT. A few weeks ago it felt like it would never end.


We went for a walk the night of the solstice. The solstice is sort of meaningless since we’ve been having 24 hour daylight for the past month and a half, but it was still nice. We went down to the shore to look across the fjord and we saw these bizarre schools of fish. I believe they are called capelin. They were swimming up onto the rocks like they were trying to beach themselves. I don’t know if they were busy trying to evolve into lungfish or if perhaps this is their reproductive ritual, but it certainly provided some laughs. Some kids were down on the rocks with a bucket, catching handfuls of capelin and putting them in the pail. After about 10 minutes hard work they had a full bucket, which they then dumped back into the ocean. That’s some low-tech sport fishing. It reminded me of catching frogs and salamanders and snakes with my sister and the neighbour kids at the cottage when we were kids. I still bad for those poor frogs…

No comments: