I told you last week that the sealift arrived. Probably you haven't grasped the magnitude of a sealift arrival. Here's me and a couple of helpers opening the crate. That's 2 by 1 by 1.86m. LARGE. For the record, I was just as active in the prying as those guys... one of them grabbed my prybar though, and never gave it back. You know how guys are.

Here we are, me and marsh, atop a pile of everything.

We spent about three days just unpacking, and another day or so folding and breaking boxes and taking out the trash.
Of course the next big excitement was the Real Polar Bear Swim yesterday. Effing cold. Blue splotchiness and crampy muscles and bragging rights for all my life. How many people can say they've done that? And just so you can be sure it was me dipping right under the water, that's my face just emerging from the icy ocean water. I'm pushing for a midnight dip on the night of the solstice come June. How cool would that be? The ice should be gone by then, but don't hold me to it because I'm not risking a crushing death between ice pans for plain old repeater bragging rights.

And then there's work. The biter has been resolved, and has largely settled down now that her mom and I have chatted. There is still occasional rib-poking, but it's on the decline. Could you imagine having poked a teacher in the ribs when you were 15? Reports of my lesbianism are back this year, since I've returned without man in tow. It's sad that their imaginations are so limited. Sad, but also funny.
Drawing has been wrapped up in the art classes. I'm somewhat disappointed in the results. About 8 kids altogether (from 55 in two classes) have really made a strong and eager effort and produced some actual results. Another 30 have made a half-assed effort (and produced half-assed results). The rest are there to disrupt and destroy, and I've had to resort to Art Room Nazi tactics to protect the supplies from the shitsters.
We're moving on to Lino Block carving. I had planned, once drawing was finished, to set up centres and have each kid do a unit at each centre until the end end of term. But then I found out that the pottery supplies were never ordered. I am deeply frustrated, especially since the pottery program was my main reason for coming back this year. So I'm applying huge pressure to order the pottery stuff now. It might be too late for first term, but at least the students next semester would have a chance to do some. The best answer I've gotten so far is Maybe. If Airfreight isn't too expensive. I'm steaming.
Finally, I'm working really hard on changing my curricular strategies. Our new resource teacher has been a huge help to me, helping me design work that achieves the outcomes in steps, so slower students achieve the most basic and important outcomes first, while the more advanced students have the chance to move on to more in-depth and challenging questions. Most important, it keeps the class from getting hung up while the slower workers (and slackers) try to catch up. We're actually "moving on."
Phew. That about brings me up to date I think. It is a different year. It's nice to be known in town.
6 comments:
super! i loved the update. and i talked to you every day!
:)
So, so good!
You and housemate look happy; I'm glad you've got all your stuff and that life outside of school is so much better. :)
They didn't order the pottery stuff?!?!? That's so crazy. Didn't they pay a bunch of money for you to take pottery courses this summer?
And polar bear swim - impressive. Do you know the water temp?
The best thing about Westminster so far is the Mexican food. It rules.
i was taking a drawing and painting course this summer. but yeah, the order just fell through the cracks. i guess i'm more annoyed that i've been asking since sept 4 if the order was placed, and they kept saying 'yes yes' without checking. if they'd actually checked way back then, it could have come on this last boat.
but that's life in the north.
i'm happy to hear that the mexican food is so fantastic, but a little surprised that that is the absolute best thing about Westminster.
ps. the water was effing cold. go check your thermometer. i believe effing cold, when referring to salt water, is approximately -1 or 0 degrees celsius. no ice, but the water moves kind of sluggishly ;) haha
Well, there aren't a lot of things about Westminster. It's small and rural, and also we've been too busy to really get out much. The surrounding countryside is gorgeous, though; hilly, many-colored in fall, lots of trees and farms.
Ok, yeah - when the water starts to gel, that's effing cold. Did you guys have solar blankets and a hot room waiting?
no solar blankets, and no hot room. but we left the truck running and so warmed up in the truck afterward.
i also may or may not have slipped a flask of a warming substance into my vest pocket for a post-dip treat.
i'm glad that at least the countryside is appealing. i hope that as you have time and explore the town you'll find some pockets of unexpected cool.
Post a Comment