Sunday, September 30, 2007

delicacy

i'm sorry i haven't been posting much. life here is pretty tame. we have a potluck supper every saturday night, and this time i was put through the torture of looking at some wedding pictures. you know how i feel about weddings.

me and the martian are getting along great. the biggest issue is that she feels like i'm annoyed when i retreat into myself. as a partial loner i'm not annoyed when i'm alone, i'm just centering.

the neighbours had me and the roomie over for dinner tonight, a traditional Sunday dinner with roast, potatoes, even turnips! it was so good, but i ate way too much.

probably the most exciting thing that will happen this week is that the sealift is due Thursday. I am ecstatic! bookshelves, junk food, and other fun things. oh! and my arm chair from Ikea!

under the category of Stories of Strange Things I've Done:

I ate a live clam on Friday. I forgot my camera, so I don't have a picture at the moment, but I will get one soon from one of the many paparazzi who got a photographic and vicarious kick out of the fiasco. see, what happened is that the whole school (minus 90% of the students) went down to the beach at low tide to dig clams. the kids showed us how to look for the little holes that show where the clam has buried itself. then you have to dig fast before it can wiggle deeper. so i'm pretty good apparently, and i found one and we got it dug out... and my prize? getting to eat a live clam straight from the shell. mmm... i'm afraid i made a face. then i tried some of the kelp, which i actually really liked. i'm sure i wouldn't want to eat a whole salad's worth, but a couple of pieces were pretty tasty. sort of salty around the outside, but more like a snow pea in flavour and texture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Clameater!

In other news, my sister had her baby on Friday night. My parents and I were there at the hospital all day, though we went to the waiting room while any real action was happening. 12 h of labor, then a c-section. By the end of the night when we finally got in to see her again, she was so tired/hungry/exhausted that she gave us this look of "f*** off and die - I never want to see another human being as long as I live". But, little Gregory Patrick (!) seems to be a fully functioning human child, so that's as good as any of us could have wanted. He's 6 lb 2 oz, pink and wiggly, with a little tuft of brown hair. In his swaddling and baby hat, he looks like a very cranky thousand-year-old man.