
On Wednesday, we took a trip to the floe edge to go seal hunting. Along the way, we stopped at the place where Tuesday's seal hunting trip had stopped to skin and butcher the seal they had caught, only to find those beautiful polar bear prints you see the photo. Our guides figured that the prints were less than an hour old - a mother and cub together, coming to clean up the remnants of the seal carcass that had been left behind, the small and few pieces that Inuit don't use anymore - intestines, blubber. It's the closest I've been to a polar bear since 2004 when we saw one crossing the pack ice 5 or 6 km away in Aupaluk.

Their feet must be enormous. Look at the comparison between my massive booted foot and the print that bear left behind in the slushy snow.
4 comments:
polar bears! Woooo! Did your guide say, y'know, let's maybe give them a wide berth? Or were they well enough away that nobody was worried? (1 hr seems pretty recent to me)
I like the new summer theme for the blog - feels like melting ice.
well all the guides were packing, so they'd probably have been quite happy to get into range, if you know what i mean. but yeah... bears can go far in an hour and we all had snowmobiles and besides, there were plenty of seal - no reason for them to diversify their diet.
thanks for liking the facelift.:) i like it too.
I like the new blog look!
Way to go with the boarding! you are so adventurous... someday I will step outside my comfort zone!
:) thanks Mel! I really enjoyed the boarding. I think the snow is melting really fast.. not sure how many more times I'll get out this year :(
It's funny... I think I'd still be intimidated to try boarding at a real ski place. here I'm just messing around on a baby bunny hill, and I don't care if people here laugh at me.
Post a Comment