Friday, November 30, 2007

emasculate

I'm not writing much. Apologies. I'm feeling the November blues more than I'd like, and don't have much enthusiasm for this at the moment.

However.

I was just chatting with my mom about cars, and she reminded me that they used to own a pick-up truck. I remember it as orange, but she says it was gold. Perhaps it was rusty by the time I was old enough to form memories. In any case, I asked my mom why they ever had a pickup truck, and she said, "just for fun." I love my mom, but I swear I have never heard the queen of tupperware and minivans give "just for fun" as a reason for anything. It is enlightening and still a cautionary tale: my mother who no longer really believes in fun once did believe in fun. Anyone can be and have fun, but maybe anyone can also lose that capacity.

So I guess I'm taking a stand. I will do things "just for fun" for the rest of my life. Or else. Or else someone (like you) will grab me by the ears and drag me to the nearest bar or game of something. Tukusiviusi?? I want a pickup and a motorcycle.

someone just told me today that you can't dye your hair when you're pregnant. is that true?? i hate to tell my future children this, but I'll be dying my hair when i'm pregnant. i'm going to have awesome punk hair the second i go on mat. leave.

if you can emasculate a guy, can you also efeminate a woman?

2 comments:

yelsel said...

very thought provoking entry!

i agree 100% about the whole "just for fun" thing. i am very intrigued by the idea that people can lose their fun-side. if that's true, it makes a lot of sense. therefore i think it MUST be true.

i plan to get dreadlocks the second i go on mat leave.

and lastly, i really liked your question about efeminating a woman. wow. that blows my mind.

devious said...

you know, after i posted, i was thinking about the word effeminate. and how it's a word used for men and it is a pretty emasculating word, referring to "unbecoming delicacy." why does it all have to be man-centric and negative?

and i checked: there is no "efeminate". so there is no word for removing a woman's femininity.

such an old issue, and it still grates.