One of the things I really like about teaching is that every day has opportunities to try new things. Because of teaching I have learned to draw and paint, to run a kiln and use a pottery wheel, to listen, to decide, to shout when I need to, to lower my voice to a whisper when no one can hear me. I have learned that a kid shouting might mean that they trust me even when they are angry. I've learned (finally!) to organize my desk, to stay on top of my work, and that my attitude matters more than my situation (usually). I've learned how to write letters of support and letters of application. I'm still learning about politics. I've learned that there are words that are funny even though I can't figure out why they are funny. Other things I've learned are that there are no people in the world (including creepy old men) who are more sex-obsessed than teenagers, sweaty armpits will always be funny, and girls burp louder than boys. Gross but true.
Now I am learning how to write a play. For the Christmas concert, my homeroom wants a funny play that no one has seen before. They want celebrities in it. And they want me to write it. I've got one page done... but they want me to incorporate celebrities I have never heard of. This is a new challenge, and I'm not sure I can fake this one. At least, thank goodness, they are old enough that if they totally fuck this play up onstage, no one will blame me.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment