Saturday, September 13, 2008

patella

Sorry folks, still no pics from the fall of 2008!

To update the bridge situation from the spring, the town is still using the temporary culvert bridge (four large metal culverts laid across the river with dirt and rocks piled on top of them.) It is definitely a stop-gap measure since it definitely won't withstand the spring runoff. They are in the process of installing a military bridge that came up on the sealift earlier this week. It is expected to take 6 - 8 weeks to complete the newest bridge.

The first week went really well, from my point of view, professionally. My new grade tens are shockingly well-behaved, and my other classes are accepting a whole program of new discipline and organizational structures. I even have marks in my markbook already. I'm trying to be more organized this year, and trying to incorporate a daily homework routine. At this point, they get a mark simply for remembering to bring their homework back to school. That's how bad they are.

From a social point of view, this year is going to be long and boring. The new teachers are nice enough, but not interesting and definitely not young. I've heard rumours of new, young nurses but haven't met them yet. It's typically a bizarre effort to actually socialize with nurses. I don't know why they don't seem to want to hang with teachers. There are also new police in town, but again they seem more aloof than you would expect in such a tiny, limited place.

Even though I overspent this summer, I am considering the purchase of a tent and stove (I've been regretting not having each for a long time). That would let me take my chances with the polar bears, and go camping with the puppies and maybe a couple other teachers. It would be nice to have a gun permit and a big gun, but realistically, I'm not going to get either. So I'll just go without them and not stray too far from town. Just far enough that I can't see town should be just far enough.

Earlier this week I took the dogs for a bike ride/run down the road to nowhere. On the way back, they got into the dump and rolled in stinky rotten garbage. Everytime they got upwind of me, I nearly barfed - I can't believe how bad they stank. What is it about a dog that makes them think rotten seal meat smells good?! They were so smelly I actually had to wash them when I got home, even though it was rather chilly out. They did not step foot in my house for two days after that. But they don't smell anymore now. Bad Dogs!

No comments: