In no particular order, here are some hots from all over the country... some animals from the rainforest near Tortuguero, a few of the Arénal Volcano, and one of the waterfall (the name of which I have forgotten, if I ever knew). Finally, there is somewhere a photo of all the students as we left the Libéria airport Thursday morning.The kids.
Arénal Volcano.

This was the view from our hotel in La Fortuna (that's the Arénal Volcano in the background). They say the volcano has not been erupting as regularly as it used to during the past month, and there are growing concerns that it may be building up pressure towards a larger eruption.
This Poison Dart Frog is one that I have happily not kissed. Don't touch!! If you kiss him, he'll paralyze you!
Spider monkey.
Small crocodile... can't remember the official name, but it was something unlikely.
Spider monkey-in-training, with trainer.
Sea Turtle.
It was a great trip! Seriously awesome. Costa Rica is very beautiful and the kids were fantastic. We saw volcanoes, rain forests, banana plantations and two oceans. I took a bajillion photos of small crocodiles and monkeys, exotic birds and such. Unfortunately, due to the terrible internet, I can't seem to get them uploaded. (You can see above that I tricked the sneaky internet and got you some photos.)I'm so proud of the kids - we had no incidents of bad behaviour, only one bout of tears, and a lot of fears conquered. The student I was sitting beside when we landed at Newark last Wednesday had her face just about glued to the window as Manhattan slid past - that was neat to witness. She'd never been farther than Ottawa before and naturally the shock of a huge city like New York blew her freakin' mind. (In a related note, it was my face glued to the window yesterday as we took off from Newark and I got to see New York's lights from the air - incredible.)
It is amazing how quickly a trip like this one fades, though. The shock of 5 different planes and a temperature swing of 70°C, not to mention a scarcity of sleep, is enough to make yesterday's morning sunshine seem like a dream of a distant paradise.
5 comments:
i'm so glad that you had such a great trip :D that's awesome!
and i'm glad your back because i've missed you.
awesome pictures... they made me look up more info on the volcano... found out that the 2nd waterfall of yer pics is called "La Fortuna" after the town it's near.. here's where I found it http://www.arenal.net/photo-gallery.htm (that site has a lot of pictures)
thanks for doing that research, Ame. :) And that makes total sense... can't believe i forgot that.
So fantastic! I love these pictures. What did the kids like best about being there? Were you doing touristy stuff or more regimented educational stuff?
The kids loved the zipline tour of the tree canopy in Sarapiqui (still part of a rainforest). We did a lot of touristy stuff. For sure next time I go to Costa Rica, I'm not sitting on a damn bus! but it was perfect for the kids, and made things a lot easier for the chaperones.
I can tell you though that the kids hated the bugs - I've never seen so much screaming!! And it wasn't always just drama, you could hear the fear in their breathing! Not scared of a crocodile or a polar bear, but watch out for a cockroach!
Post a Comment