Hey you all!!
I never did put up more pics from the Europe, did I? Forgive me. I will do it some weekend when I have the need to remember such wonderful, hot, sunny times in French. :)
In the meantime, I thought I'd bring you up to date about what's been going on above the treeline.
My leadership initiative is up and running, imaavi. We had the formal vote about where we'd go yesterday, and we are officially going to Italy and Greece. Sadly, our trip will not include a tour of the Greek Islands, but we will hit several cities in Italy (Florence, Milan, Rome and Venice, I think) and a couple in Greece as well. We do make it to the Mediterranean, but it'll have to be a one-night stand for me instead of the more long-term fling I'm wishing for. Ah... the sea...
Last weekend I was in Iqaluit for training. Specifically, I followed a 2-day suicide intervention workshop. It was so good and yet so difficult. I have lost to suicide 3 students who I knew very well in the past 5 months. The most recent was only in July, and she was in my homeroom class for 2 years. I can't think about those kids without feeling grief, although I am beginning to heal. The training was really useful though... finally, a workshop to help us say the words, "Are you thinking of killing yourself?" I think most of us are afraid to say those words in case the answer that comes is "Yes." Now I feel like I know what to say next.
My classes are off to a good start. We are drawing in Art, but that unit is drawing to a close and then I think we will make some creative clay whistles. This year's grade 10 class is insane. Utterly crazy and hyper. I'm working on how to cope with such unreal behaviour and keep my mental balance. It's hard to teach when there are people walking on tables, having full-volume conversations across the room, and then answering back with a smart answer when you get them in trouble. I'm creating a new vocabulary to vent my feelings about matter.
We are already starting to lose some daylight. I came home after dark twice this week and it's only Tuesday. There have been a few snowfalls, but currently the ground is dry and snow-less. I have seen some spectacular displays of northern lights already. I skipped this year's orientation out in the sound, and I was glad I did. It was freezing and windy (bringing big waves) and I turned out to be sick.
The treadmill of my work-life is stuck on high speed. If I was at school, working, 12 solid hours a day, I might get my head above the metaphorical water. Trouble is, I can't do 12 hours at top speed. Not and be happy, anyway.
Tuesday, October 06, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
sounds like work is pretty intense these days! i'm so glad to hear you got to go to a useful and applicable workshop to something that is so close to you.
{listens to the sound of the wind blowing over a long abandoned blog}
=)
Post a Comment