Saturday, May 23, 2009

bent

It has been a long time since I last posted. I'm sorry for that, especially if you've been checking (and been disappointed) regularly. It's getting to that crazy time of year... Spring Camp, end of year stuff at school, exams, putting in letters of resignation, no darkness (and therefore no sleep). I have often found this time of year exciting because I am looking forward to improving things in the fall. This year I am struggling. I mentioned a while back that I felt it was time to move on. I still feel that way, but it's looking like this June isn't the end after all. It's disappointing. I was really hoping to be gone from here, much as I have enjoyed the last two years (let's be honest - the first sucked). There are a number of contributing factors to my decision to return, but none of them makes me any happier to stay. At least, not yet.

In lieu of a permanent plane trip out of here, I am planning to take off to Europe for a big chunk of my summer. I desperately need a change of scenery and some anonymous time at large in the world will do me good.

I am working on being relentlessly positive for a little while. Sometimes all it takes to shake a bad mood is some determination. So... here goes. Next fall I take on the Leadership Group that I was so deeply involved with this year. We'll see where the trip goes! I will also be moving into a 2-bedroom unit - alone! This makes me so happy. I can't wait to be free of the outstanding housemate experiences I've had since arriving here. I've made a few new friends outside the school, and in spite of the new hires I've witnessed the last couple of years, hope springs eternal that the fall will bring energetic young teachers to the school.

At the end of it all, I will be better-traveled and have enough resources stashed that I can make a more stable transition to a new city and job.

I owe you all pictures from Florida and this year's Spring Camp. Hang on - there is something positive I can share! I had a great time at Spring Camp, even though I was the only qallunaaq to spend the nights. Often solitary southerners feel isolated at camp because all the camp talk is in Inuktitut. I have never experienced that before, but this year even less. I felt much more at home, and was adopted for the week by a lady in my cabin who took to calling herself my ananatia (grandmother). I had a lot of fun with my students, too.

I hope you are all doing well, and I look forward to seeing as many of you as I can this summer.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Hello! I was just talking to someone about you today - or, about the apathy you sometimes get from your students. She's teaching in a "last chance" high school down here and was describing her students, and it sounded just like the way you described your bad-day times. (Students who have no expectation that they might have to stay awake, or do a task, etc.)

So, are you staying north because nothing good came up in the south? Or because you decided another year in the north is a good thing for you, or for the students...? I know a lot of people who are sticking with whatever job they have right now, happy to have a job at all, so if that's it you're not alone.

We had graduation today, then a bunch of faculty afterparties. Summer holds the promise of yardwork, work on the house, work on the diss.

Where in europe will you go?

Anonymous said...

happy to read a post from you! Since you are going to europe... when will you be around Kingston?

devious said...

It's both, Anne. I'll be taking over leadership of the group I worked with this year, to go on the trip. I think it's good for the kids that I stay, not so much for me. That's a good reason. I also feel like I can't face unemployment in Ontario right now.

I really hope that this summer refreshes me, body and soul, and I can come back with some of the joy I used to feel in teaching here.